Two newborn girls abandoned in Rajasthan, one dies
Jaipur: In a reflection of the dismal situation for the girl child in Rajasthan, two more newborns were on Friday abandoned in the state, including in the capital, while authorities are investigating an alarming trend of babies being killed by denying them feed or treatment.
A baby, born premature, was found lying near the tracks by people after Agra-Ajmer train left the station and died in the hospital.
"Either she was dumped from the toilet of a coach or someone put the girl when the train was stationary," Prem Chand, a GRP personnel who is investigating the case, said.
"RPF men reached the spot and she was shifted to a child hospital. Since the train had already left the station by the time we reached there, it could not be confirmed whether she was dumped from inside the coach," he said.
"We are investigating the matter," he said. The girl was born some time before she was dumped.
"She was put on ventilator support in the ICU ward but she could not survive and died in afternoon," Dr ML Gupta, who was taking care of the girl, said.
In another case, a newborn girl was abandoned in Pali district.
"Hearing cries of the child in the morning, a man Kalu Lal went towards the bushes in industrial area and found the girl wrapped in cloths," police said.
"She was admitted to Pali`s Bangar hospital where she is doing fine," they said, adding, that the parents could not be identified.
Meanwhile, an alarming trend of killing of girl child has emerged in Jaisalmer region which is notorious for female foeticide.
"Over the last few months, we investigated a few cases where newborn girls died due to lack of treatment and food or were poisoned to death," SP Jaisalmer Mamta Bishnoi told PTI.
"In two separate cases, fathers were found guilty of not providing medical treatment leading to the death of newborn girls whereas one case is under investigation," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city