Unique drive to check open defecation in Raj
Jaipur: In an effort to get rid of open defecation, a Zila Parishad in Rajasthan has decided to rope in social volunteers to prevent or embarrass people from attending nature`s call in the open.
"The volunteers would blow whistle and beat drums from 5 am to 7 am in open grounds where people go to relieve themselves, and will also make announcements in the village if anyone found defecating in open," Ramnivas Jat, CEO-Jhunjhunu Zila Parishad, told a news agency Sunday.
Jhunjhunu Zila Parishad, through this scheme aims to make 34 Panchayats completely free from the practice of open defecation.
A decision in this regard was taking unanimously in a meeting attended by Sarpanches, other public representatives and the district officers yesterday.
The volunteers could be school children or social activists, he said adding, "They would also be paid honorarium and the idea will be implemented around Diwali."
Jat said, "Volunteers will take round of areas, where people do what they are supposed to do in private, this will embarrass and make people to go for a toilet in their houses."
In Jhunjhunu, the officer said, 30 out of 288 Gram Panchayats have already received Nirmal Gram Puraskar and every household in those Gram Panchayats has a toilet.
"Now we want to make additional 34 Panchayats, which we have proposed for Nirmal Gram Puraskar recently, completely free from the practice," he said.
"The idea will be implemented in 34 Panchayats initially and if results are positive, other areas will also be covered with the initiative," Jat added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Team India, South Africa arrive for second T20 match
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani