Unique drive to check open defecation in Raj
Jaipur: In an effort to get rid of open defecation, a Zila Parishad in Rajasthan has decided to rope in social volunteers to prevent or embarrass people from attending nature`s call in the open.
"The volunteers would blow whistle and beat drums from 5 am to 7 am in open grounds where people go to relieve themselves, and will also make announcements in the village if anyone found defecating in open," Ramnivas Jat, CEO-Jhunjhunu Zila Parishad, told a news agency Sunday.
Jhunjhunu Zila Parishad, through this scheme aims to make 34 Panchayats completely free from the practice of open defecation.
A decision in this regard was taking unanimously in a meeting attended by Sarpanches, other public representatives and the district officers yesterday.
The volunteers could be school children or social activists, he said adding, "They would also be paid honorarium and the idea will be implemented around Diwali."
Jat said, "Volunteers will take round of areas, where people do what they are supposed to do in private, this will embarrass and make people to go for a toilet in their houses."
In Jhunjhunu, the officer said, 30 out of 288 Gram Panchayats have already received Nirmal Gram Puraskar and every household in those Gram Panchayats has a toilet.
"Now we want to make additional 34 Panchayats, which we have proposed for Nirmal Gram Puraskar recently, completely free from the practice," he said.
"The idea will be implemented in 34 Panchayats initially and if results are positive, other areas will also be covered with the initiative," Jat added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi