Unruly youths damage vehicles, rail tracks
Jaipur: Thousands of unruly youths, who were disqualified in the Territorial Army`s open recruitment rally here, Friday damaged vehicles and rail tracks disrupting vehicular and rail movement in Govindgarh town near here.
The mob burnt a police bus and the engine of a train, pelted stones at a passenger train and damaged public properties and a few other vehicles to vent their anger.
Police had to resort to lathicharge and burst teargas shells to control the situation, Additional DG (Law and Order) Navdeep Singh said.
"We deployed additional police force in Govindgarh and nearby area after the incident. Situation is now under control and efforts are being made to identify the accused," he said.
Two dozen people have been detained in this connection, SP Jaipur Rural Ashok Naruka said.
Over 10,000 candidates had approached the recruitment site which was beyond expectation.
"After the candidates were disqualified, they created a nuisance in Govindgarh town. They damaged vehicles, set ablaze a police bus. Many of them moved towards the railway station and damaged signals, rail tracks and also put on fire a rail engine," he said.
An official of North-Western Railway said that the accused pelted stones at Jaipur-Churu passenger train when the train halted at the station. Guard of the train, Suraj Singh, was injured in the incident.
However, security personnel controlled the situation and the train was evacuated.
The boys also damaged around 2 KM long rail tracks by removing clips. They blocked the tracks with stones and beam and damaged three railway crossing gates in the area, he said.
Vehicular movement on the Jaipur-Sikar highway and other connecting roads was also hit due to the incident.
"We have controlled the situation and the highway is cleared for traffic now. Efforts are being to identify the accused," another official said, adding, that the recruitment rally remained unaffected due to this.
A Defence Spokesperson, however, said that the civil authorities should have made arrangements for the security.
"Such events for recruitment are conducted only after meetings with civil administration. The authorities must have made adequate arrangements for security," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read