Unruly youths damage vehicles, rail tracks
Jaipur: Thousands of unruly youths, who were disqualified in the Territorial Army`s open recruitment rally here, Friday damaged vehicles and rail tracks disrupting vehicular and rail movement in Govindgarh town near here.
The mob burnt a police bus and the engine of a train, pelted stones at a passenger train and damaged public properties and a few other vehicles to vent their anger.
Police had to resort to lathicharge and burst teargas shells to control the situation, Additional DG (Law and Order) Navdeep Singh said.
"We deployed additional police force in Govindgarh and nearby area after the incident. Situation is now under control and efforts are being made to identify the accused," he said.
Two dozen people have been detained in this connection, SP Jaipur Rural Ashok Naruka said.
Over 10,000 candidates had approached the recruitment site which was beyond expectation.
"After the candidates were disqualified, they created a nuisance in Govindgarh town. They damaged vehicles, set ablaze a police bus. Many of them moved towards the railway station and damaged signals, rail tracks and also put on fire a rail engine," he said.
An official of North-Western Railway said that the accused pelted stones at Jaipur-Churu passenger train when the train halted at the station. Guard of the train, Suraj Singh, was injured in the incident.
However, security personnel controlled the situation and the train was evacuated.
The boys also damaged around 2 KM long rail tracks by removing clips. They blocked the tracks with stones and beam and damaged three railway crossing gates in the area, he said.
Vehicular movement on the Jaipur-Sikar highway and other connecting roads was also hit due to the incident.
"We have controlled the situation and the highway is cleared for traffic now. Efforts are being to identify the accused," another official said, adding, that the recruitment rally remained unaffected due to this.
A Defence Spokesperson, however, said that the civil authorities should have made arrangements for the security.
"Such events for recruitment are conducted only after meetings with civil administration. The authorities must have made adequate arrangements for security," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- VIDEO: When helicopter shot came to haunt Team India and skipper MS Dhoni himself