Vasundhara Raje back in action in Rajasthan
Jaipur: Former Rajasthan chief minister Vasundhara Raje may be appointed as the state BJP chief to lead her party in the assembly elections due to be held in 2013.
A former announcement in this regard is expected to be made by the BP core group following its meeting on Thursday.
Raje, who was the chief minister of Rajasthan for 5 years till 2008, paid a visit to the national capital on Tuesday and held discussions with the senior party leaders.
Meanwhile, Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) man and former Rajasthan Home Minister Gulab Chand Kataria will remain the leader of Opposition in the State Assembly.
The BJP’s state unit here has been plagued by infighting and factionalism for some time and several leaders have opposed Raje for her autocratic functioning.
She, too, had reportedly expressed her desire to replace state president Arun Chaturvedi with somebody of her choice, if not herself, much before elections.
Chaturvedi took over as president in July 2009 for a period of 3 years.
It was not a coincidence that, immediately after returning from Gujarat last year where she addressed a number of election meetings, Raje decided to muster her strength in Rajasthan in a way that visibly made her detractors jittery.
Her action was explained away by her supporters as an exercise by the "leader" to get feedback from the ground in view of the upcoming elections, but was criticized by Raje’s political rivals within the party.
After losing to the Congress in 2008, when the BJP`s strength in the 200-member house whittled down from 120 to 79, Raje continued with her autocratic and despotic style - the reason, besides alleged large scale corruption, for the BJP`s defeat.
With Agency inputs
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents