Villagers protesting against mining activities lathicharged
Jaipur: Villagers staging a dharna against
mining activities were lathicharged and forcefully removed by
police from Rajasthan`s Sikar district, officials said on Thursday.
"We had to use force to remove them from Neem Ka Thana
area yesterday where they were squatted demanding action
against mining activities. They had pelted stones at police
prompting us to use force," SP Sikar Girraj Lal Meena said
"We arrested 12 persons including six women.
Additional forces have been deployed in the area and we are
making efforts to solve the issue," he said.
Meanwhile, the agitators alleged in Jaipur today that
the district administration and police were working under the
influence of the mining lobby.
"We have been peacefully staging our dharna since
April 5 against mining in the area. A large number of
villagers were sitting in a pasture land which was being used
for mining activities.
"In land records, it is purely a pasture land but
mining lobby is using this as their way leaving no area for
our cattle to feed," Kailash Meena, who was leading the
agitation, claimed at a press conference here today.
Meena said the protesters met senior officials here
demanding action against illegal mining and protection of
"The authorities instead of checking illegal
activities took action against innocent villagers who were
raising their voice for justice," he said, adding that two
villagers received injuries in the lathicharge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!