Villagers protesting against mining activities lathicharged
Jaipur: Villagers staging a dharna against
mining activities were lathicharged and forcefully removed by
police from Rajasthan`s Sikar district, officials said on Thursday.
"We had to use force to remove them from Neem Ka Thana
area yesterday where they were squatted demanding action
against mining activities. They had pelted stones at police
prompting us to use force," SP Sikar Girraj Lal Meena said
"We arrested 12 persons including six women.
Additional forces have been deployed in the area and we are
making efforts to solve the issue," he said.
Meanwhile, the agitators alleged in Jaipur today that
the district administration and police were working under the
influence of the mining lobby.
"We have been peacefully staging our dharna since
April 5 against mining in the area. A large number of
villagers were sitting in a pasture land which was being used
for mining activities.
"In land records, it is purely a pasture land but
mining lobby is using this as their way leaving no area for
our cattle to feed," Kailash Meena, who was leading the
agitation, claimed at a press conference here today.
Meena said the protesters met senior officials here
demanding action against illegal mining and protection of
"The authorities instead of checking illegal
activities took action against innocent villagers who were
raising their voice for justice," he said, adding that two
villagers received injuries in the lathicharge.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today