When Asaram pleaded for providing female doctor in jail
Zee Media Bureau
Jodhpur: Self-styled godman Asaram Bapu, accused of sexually assaulting a 16-year-old girl on Monday had requested the District and Sessions` Court judge to accept his request of allowing his personal female doctor to treat him in jail.
While appearing in the court, the controversial spiritual pleaded before judge Manoj Kumar Vyas to accept his request of allowing his personal female doctor to treat his "chronic neurological disease", referred to by him as "trinadi shool".
When asked about the disease, he told the judge that it is a disorder which deprives him of a sound sleep.
Judge Manoj Kumar Vyas, however, refused to consider the plea in the absence of defence counsel.
A 16-year-old girl on Aug 20 lodged a police complaint, accusing Asaram of sexually assaulting her at his ashram near Jodhpur.
Asaram was arrested from his ashram in Indore, Madhya Pradesh, and brought to Jodhpur Sep 1.
Asaram has been booked under Sections 376, 342, 506 and 509 of the IPC, Section 8 of the Prevention of Children from Sexual Offences Act ( POCSO ) and Sections 23 and 26 of the Juvenile Justice Act.
Asaram`s judicial custody was extended on Monday for another 14 days, by the court, where he was produced for the hearing of his bail plea.
Asaram, 72, who was arrested from his ashram in Indore in Madhya Pradesh, had sought bail claiming that police erred in booking him under a rape charge, which is non-bailable.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday