When Asaram pleaded for providing female doctor in jail
Zee Media Bureau
Jodhpur: Self-styled godman Asaram Bapu, accused of sexually assaulting a 16-year-old girl on Monday had requested the District and Sessions` Court judge to accept his request of allowing his personal female doctor to treat him in jail.
While appearing in the court, the controversial spiritual pleaded before judge Manoj Kumar Vyas to accept his request of allowing his personal female doctor to treat his "chronic neurological disease", referred to by him as "trinadi shool".
When asked about the disease, he told the judge that it is a disorder which deprives him of a sound sleep.
Judge Manoj Kumar Vyas, however, refused to consider the plea in the absence of defence counsel.
A 16-year-old girl on Aug 20 lodged a police complaint, accusing Asaram of sexually assaulting her at his ashram near Jodhpur.
Asaram was arrested from his ashram in Indore, Madhya Pradesh, and brought to Jodhpur Sep 1.
Asaram has been booked under Sections 376, 342, 506 and 509 of the IPC, Section 8 of the Prevention of Children from Sexual Offences Act ( POCSO ) and Sections 23 and 26 of the Juvenile Justice Act.
Asaram`s judicial custody was extended on Monday for another 14 days, by the court, where he was produced for the hearing of his bail plea.
Asaram, 72, who was arrested from his ashram in Indore in Madhya Pradesh, had sought bail claiming that police erred in booking him under a rape charge, which is non-bailable.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in