When Asaram pleaded for providing female doctor in jail
Zee Media Bureau
Jodhpur: Self-styled godman Asaram Bapu, accused of sexually assaulting a 16-year-old girl on Monday had requested the District and Sessions` Court judge to accept his request of allowing his personal female doctor to treat him in jail.
While appearing in the court, the controversial spiritual pleaded before judge Manoj Kumar Vyas to accept his request of allowing his personal female doctor to treat his "chronic neurological disease", referred to by him as "trinadi shool".
When asked about the disease, he told the judge that it is a disorder which deprives him of a sound sleep.
Judge Manoj Kumar Vyas, however, refused to consider the plea in the absence of defence counsel.
A 16-year-old girl on Aug 20 lodged a police complaint, accusing Asaram of sexually assaulting her at his ashram near Jodhpur.
Asaram was arrested from his ashram in Indore, Madhya Pradesh, and brought to Jodhpur Sep 1.
Asaram has been booked under Sections 376, 342, 506 and 509 of the IPC, Section 8 of the Prevention of Children from Sexual Offences Act ( POCSO ) and Sections 23 and 26 of the Juvenile Justice Act.
Asaram`s judicial custody was extended on Monday for another 14 days, by the court, where he was produced for the hearing of his bail plea.
Asaram, 72, who was arrested from his ashram in Indore in Madhya Pradesh, had sought bail claiming that police erred in booking him under a rape charge, which is non-bailable.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video