Why Asaram created ruckus in Jodhpur jail?
Zee Media Bureau
Jodhpur: Self-styled godman Asaram Bapu, who is in jail for allegedly sexually assaulting a girl, threw tantrums over a demand for gangajal or holy Ganga water on Tuesday.
The controversial godman reportedly claimed that he would not accept water without a drop from his bottle carrying `Gangajal`. He sprinkled the holy water in the room to purify the surroundings and slept on a `chatai` (mat).
The 72-year-old Asaram is currently lodged in Jodhpur Central Jail after a court remanded him to 14-day judicial custody in connection with the alleged sexual assault on a 16-year-old girl at his ashram near Jodhpur.
Asaram, who has reportedly cleared a potency test conducted on him by a team of three doctors, remained restless and was unable to sleep properly during his two-day stay in a prison in Rajasthan.
The spiritual guru was reportedly kept in a separate room instead of the barrack, and mosquitoes troubled him a lot in the night, a news agency said on Tuesday.
Asaram was given milk and dry fruits. When he refused to take the food provided to ordinary prisoners, "dalia" (porridge) was cooked for him, the sources added.
Jail authorities, however, denied that Asaram was being given any special treatment.
Asaram has been booked under Sections 376, 342, 506 and 509 of the IPC, Section 8 of the Prevention of Children from Sexual Offences Act (POCSO) and Sections 23 and 26 of the Juvenile Justice Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani