Will press for Asaram`s trial in fast-track court: Prosecution
Jodhpur: The sexual assault case involving allegations against self-styled godman Asaram Bapu was fit for trial in a fast-track court, Additional Advocate General (AAG) Anand Purohit said on Thursday.
Talking to reporters here, Purohit said the prosecution may also consider making one of Asaram`s associates, Shiva or Shilpi, a government witness.
While Shiva, an aide of Asaram`s, is in police custody, Shilpi, the warden at the Chhindwara Gurukul where the girl was a student, is still absconding.
Jodhpur police said they have established a strong link in connection with the case between and Shiva and Shilpi.
"Shilpi is a vital link in the investigation... Shiva was the mediator between Shilpi and Asaram," DCP Ajay Pal Lamba told reporters here.
"It is Shilpi who planned to send the girl to Asaram by convincing her that she was under the spell of evil spirits and only Bapu could save her," the DCP added.
"Shilpi was in regular touch with the parents of the girl in order to convince them about taking their daughter to either the ashram at Jodhpur or in Ahmedabad," he said.
There were dozens of calls exchanged between Shilpi, Shiva and the girl`s parents from August 13 to 15, the day when the 16-yr-old-girl was allegedly sexually assaulted at Manai ashram by the accused.
Police have submitted call data records in court to back their claim, he said.
Meanwhile, Shiva, who is facing three-days` police custody, refused all allegations against Asaram saying, "There was no sexual exploitation of the girl... It is a conspiracy by Congress to malign him (Asaram)".
As to the references to an alleged CD in the case, Shiva said, "There is no CD in existence as mentioned by police".
Asaram`s bail plea was yesterday rejected by District and Sessions (Rural) court judge, Manoj Kumar Vyas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter