Will Rajasthan minister Babu Lal Nagar be arrested?
Zee Media Bureau
Jaipur: Two days after a woman filed a case against Babu Lal Nagar accusing him of rape, the Rajasthan Minister of State for Dairy and Rural Industries resigned "on moral grounds" on Thursday.
The police, accused of delaying action, have reached the residence of the 53-year-old Nagar with the victim, triggering speculations that the minister may be arrested.
Nagar was questioned in this regard last night, two days after he was booked for rape.
Notably, his arrest will be a big blow to the ruling Congress party ahead of the upcoming Assembly Elections.
The Sodala Police station had on Tuesday booked Nagar for allegedly raping, threatening and beating up the woman on September 11, after calling her to his official bungalow in Civil Lines on the pretext of giving her a job.
Nagar told the media that he sent his resignation letter to Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot`s office.
"I am resigning on moral grounds and to let the investigation agency conduct a free and fair probe," he said.
Nagar refuted the allegations and said he was being framed in "a political conspiracy".
Nagar represents Dudu in Ajmer district in the State Assembly.
A police officer said the complainant was a married woman. She had approached a court recently, and the court directed police to register the FIR.
The state`s CID-Crime Branch had yesterday begun probing the charges of rape and assault levelled against Nagar.
The woman`s statement was recorded and her clothes, which she wore on the day of the alleged crime, were recovered and sent for forensic examination.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray