Woman strangulated after rape attempt in Rajasthan
Jaipur: A man was on Sunday arrested in Rajasthan for strangulating his 23-year-old sister-in-law after a failed rape bid Dec 25, police said. The victim died in a hospital on Saturday.
Police said the accused escaped thinking the woman had died. However, she was rushed to SMS hospital in Jaipur in an unconscious state where she passed away Saturday night four days after the rape attempt.
The incident took place at Govindpura village near Neem Ka Thana in Sikar district, around 150 km from Jaipur.
"The victim had married one Shankar Lal three years ago and was staying at her in-laws house in the village," said a police officer.
She was alone at the house when her husband`s cousin Pintu alias Ajay came to visit her, the officer said.
On finding her alone, Pintu tried to rape her, the officer added.
"However, she resisted. When Ajay failed in his attempt, he tried to strangulate her using her stole. Ajay thought she had died when she fell unconscious and ran away from the house," said the officer.
"We traced Ajay and have arrested him for attempted rape and murder," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof