‘Women should play active role in decision-making`
Alwar: Calling women `agents of transformation`, UN Women`s Executive Director Michelle Bachelet on friday encouraged representatives from the fair sex to play an active role in decision-making to bring about a positive change in society.
Addressing an open meeting in Bardod Gram Panchayat in the district, Bachelet said women have an important role to play in the process of transformation for the betterment of society and for a nation`s development.
She said Gram Sabhas or village councils are a powerful tool to take the advantage of governments` programmes and policies to people at grassroot level.
"Gram Sabha is a unique concept for the implementation of government policies and programmes and for the success, participation of everybody is important," she said.
Bachelet also expressed satisfaction that the number of women representatives is increasing, and said more and more women should come forward to actively participate in decision-making.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them