‘Women should play active role in decision-making`
Alwar: Calling women `agents of transformation`, UN Women`s Executive Director Michelle Bachelet on friday encouraged representatives from the fair sex to play an active role in decision-making to bring about a positive change in society.
Addressing an open meeting in Bardod Gram Panchayat in the district, Bachelet said women have an important role to play in the process of transformation for the betterment of society and for a nation`s development.
She said Gram Sabhas or village councils are a powerful tool to take the advantage of governments` programmes and policies to people at grassroot level.
"Gram Sabha is a unique concept for the implementation of government policies and programmes and for the success, participation of everybody is important," she said.
Bachelet also expressed satisfaction that the number of women representatives is increasing, and said more and more women should come forward to actively participate in decision-making.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi