‘Women should play active role in decision-making`
Alwar: Calling women `agents of transformation`, UN Women`s Executive Director Michelle Bachelet on friday encouraged representatives from the fair sex to play an active role in decision-making to bring about a positive change in society.
Addressing an open meeting in Bardod Gram Panchayat in the district, Bachelet said women have an important role to play in the process of transformation for the betterment of society and for a nation`s development.
She said Gram Sabhas or village councils are a powerful tool to take the advantage of governments` programmes and policies to people at grassroot level.
"Gram Sabha is a unique concept for the implementation of government policies and programmes and for the success, participation of everybody is important," she said.
Bachelet also expressed satisfaction that the number of women representatives is increasing, and said more and more women should come forward to actively participate in decision-making.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites