‘Women should play active role in decision-making`
Alwar: Calling women `agents of transformation`, UN Women`s Executive Director Michelle Bachelet on friday encouraged representatives from the fair sex to play an active role in decision-making to bring about a positive change in society.
Addressing an open meeting in Bardod Gram Panchayat in the district, Bachelet said women have an important role to play in the process of transformation for the betterment of society and for a nation`s development.
She said Gram Sabhas or village councils are a powerful tool to take the advantage of governments` programmes and policies to people at grassroot level.
"Gram Sabha is a unique concept for the implementation of government policies and programmes and for the success, participation of everybody is important," she said.
Bachelet also expressed satisfaction that the number of women representatives is increasing, and said more and more women should come forward to actively participate in decision-making.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...