Facebook facing 'anti-discrimination class action' over pedophile's boastful comments on platform
After a convicted pedophile posted comments boasting about his crime on Facebook, the social media platform is set to face an anti-discrimination class action.
Melbourne: After a convicted pedophile posted comments boasting about his crime on Facebook, the social media platform is set to face an anti-discrimination class action.
The 58-year-old man was sentenced to two-and-a-half years in jail by Tasmania's Supreme Court for having sex with a girl aged under 17, which is the age of consent in the state, reported News.com.au.
He was freed in March 2013 and remains on the state's child sex offender list .
After his release, the man gloated about his crime on Facebook by saying that he was the envy of many men across Australia.
In response to his activity on the social media website, Sexual Assault Support Service chief Liz Little, along with Tasmania's Anti-Discrimination Commissioner, has decided to file a representative class action suit against the man, Facebook and the state's Parole Board.
Little argued that the act prohibited people from doing things that may be hurtful or shameful for a victim of sexual abuse, adding that it could also amount to victimisation under the anti-discrimination act.
She said his comments were "demeaning and vilified the girl."
Little said that the action was being lodged on behalf of young victims of sexual abuse.
She said that while signing up for Facebook, when people select "No" on being asked if they're sexual offenders, what does Facebook do to check if they're telling the truth.
The case is expected to be lodged this week.
Facebook said on Monday that the person's profile had been deactivated.