Factor in naked mole rats help maintain protein quality
Washington: A new study has demonstrated that a factor in the cells of naked mole rats protect and alter the activity of the proteasome, a garbage disposer for damaged and obsolete proteins.
The study conducted by Barshop Institute for Longevity and Aging Studies, found another secret of longevity in the tissues of the longest-lived rodent, the naked mole rat.
Study first author Karl Rodriguez, Ph.D., said that this factor was part of an overall process or mechanism by which naked mole rats maintained their protein quality.
According to the study, these proteasomes usually rapidly stopped functioning, leading to the accumulation of damaged proteins that further impair cell function, contributing to the vicious cycle that leads to cell death.
The study also observed that this factor also protected proteasome function in human, mouse and yeast cells when challenged with various proteasome poisons, studies showed.
Rodriguez said, that as a result, protein quality declined and this contributed to the functional declines seen during ageing and enhancement of protein quality, meanwhile, led to longer life in yeast, worms, fruit flies and naked mole rats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- 7th Pay Commission: Delhi govt notifies hike in salaries, pensions for over 1 lakh employees
- Olympics 2016: Andy Murray dominates in Rio Games, outsider Monica Puig arrives on big stage
- SALUTE! What a mom she is! This lady catches her son teasing girl - WATCH what happened next
- Katrina Kaif, Sidharth Malhotra's 'workout tips' will give you major 'Baar Baar Dekho' feels! Pic inside
- PM inaugurates Stor Palace, says Indians will always be with Afghanistan