Factor in naked mole rats help maintain protein quality
Washington: A new study has demonstrated that a factor in the cells of naked mole rats protect and alter the activity of the proteasome, a garbage disposer for damaged and obsolete proteins.
The study conducted by Barshop Institute for Longevity and Aging Studies, found another secret of longevity in the tissues of the longest-lived rodent, the naked mole rat.
Study first author Karl Rodriguez, Ph.D., said that this factor was part of an overall process or mechanism by which naked mole rats maintained their protein quality.
According to the study, these proteasomes usually rapidly stopped functioning, leading to the accumulation of damaged proteins that further impair cell function, contributing to the vicious cycle that leads to cell death.
The study also observed that this factor also protected proteasome function in human, mouse and yeast cells when challenged with various proteasome poisons, studies showed.
Rodriguez said, that as a result, protein quality declined and this contributed to the functional declines seen during ageing and enhancement of protein quality, meanwhile, led to longer life in yeast, worms, fruit flies and naked mole rats.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!