As Mashable and India.com announced their partnership on Wednesday to launch 'Mashable India', here are some excerpts of Q&A on the collaboration:
1. What kind of a tie-up, relationship is between India.com and Mashable?
Official spokesperson: It is a strategic partnership, wherein both brands will work together in all areas, editorial, promotion and monetization.
2. What is the revenue relationship between the two companies, is this a joint venture (more details around revenue split, MG etc)?
Official spokesperson: It is a strategic long-term partnership. Once we launch we will divulge more details.
3. Why does Mashable want to come to India?
Official spokesperson: As Mashable continues to grow in parallel with the expansion of digital globally, entering into India, with an Internet population approaching 300 million people, was an obvious next-step. Mashable has a strong and growing audience in India, and felt there was an opportunity to build on that by adding local content, social promotion and monetization.
4. What are the content areas, which Mashable India will look to cover, is there a specific strategy in India?
Official spokesperson: Mashable India plans to continue the editorial philosophy of Mashable, which is to inspire and inform its global community about how digital and technology are changing the world. We will also look to leverage India.com's strength in generating original content for Indian audiences and its widespread reach in the Indian digital space.
More specific details to content will be announced at the launch of Mashable India, but generally content will cater to the Connected Generation, which are millennials and those who think like them.
5. What will be the focus areas of monetization, is there a specific strategy around the same?
Official spokesperson: The monetization strategy for Mashable India will be similar for the global brand, which will target premium brand advertisers that would like to reach one of the most active global communities with over 21 million social followers, who share 3 Mashable articles per second. Mashable India will offer brands and agencies a wide spectrum of offerings, including branded content, premium display advertising and content marketing solutions.
6. When would Mashable India launch? What will be Mashable India homepage url?
Official spokesperson: Mashable India will launch in the first half of this year. Upon launch, Mashable India will be accessed through Mashable.in.
7. Why did Mashable choose India.com as its India partner?
Official spokesperson: Mashable was looking for a well-established and authentic partner in India, who understood the complexities of India while showing high growth and promise.
India.com Web Portal has been the fastest growing publisher is India with 45 million UVs, with many number one properties - they sounded like the aggressive and young company, which we were looking for as partners.
India.com Web Portal, which is a joint venture between Penske Media Corporation (PMC) and Zee Entertainment Enterprises Ltd. - two established and innovative companies with massive clout in terms of access to digital users and revenue generation. That also added to the confidence in terms of going with India.com.
8. What is the current size of audience Mashable already has in India? What are the traffic targets for Mashable India?
Official spokesperson: India is one of Mashable’s top five global markets and we want to grow multi-fold from here. With the local content and strategy in place, we are excited about the growth opportunities.
9. There seems to be an overlap in terms of content coverage between India.com and Mashable India. India.com also has dedicated vertical properties. What is your strategy here?
Official spokesperson: Mashable has a unique editorial philosophy, and we feel it will be complementary to the current strengths of India.com properties.
10. Who will be leading the Mashable India operations, editorial, monetization (in terms of specific names)?
Official spokesperson: Mashable India’s editorial direction will come from Mashable’s Executive Editor, Jim Roberts. The Mashable India content team will be in constant contact with Mashable’s US content team to ensure content both resonate with the Indian audience and align with Mashable’s editorial mission.
Mashable India sales and operations will be handled by India.com.
11. Why did Mashable decide to partner with Penske/India.com instead of setting up its own editorial team?
Official spokesperson: With the rapid growth in India’s digital population and the ecosystem developing around it, Mashable felt India was a place we needed to be as we continue to expand globally. The partnership will give Mashable an established and dedicated staff on the ground, which Mashable will leverage to scale quickly in the market.
With India.com Web Portal’s great track-record and expertise in producing local content for audiences in India, Mashable felt this partnership was a more efficient and effective way to expand to India.
12. Where will Mashable India be based?
Official spokesperson: The Mashable India teams will be in both New Delhi and Mumbai.