Is the Universe a 2D Hologram?
Washington: A new experiment has been recently launched that may soon be able to provide proof regarding whether the universe is a 2D Hologram or not.
It has been believed for many years that the world was three dimensional, but to determine if the universe would actually be two dimensional, physicists at Fermi National Laboratory in Illinois have set up an experiment called the holometer, which might finally be able to determine how the universe stores the information people interact with everyday.
Craig Hogan, director of Fermilab's Center for Particle Astrophysics, said that they want to find out whether space-time was a quantum system just like matter.
Essentially, the experiment probes the limits of the universe's ability to store information. The instrument testing these limits has been considered the most sensitive device ever created to measure the quantum jitter of space itself.
Now operating at full power, the Holometer uses a pair of interferometers placed close to one another. Each one sends a one-kilowatt laser beam (the equivalent of 200,000 laser pointers) at a beam splitter and down two perpendicular 40-meter arms.
The light would then be reflected back to the beam splitter where the two beams recombine, creating fluctuations in brightness if there was motion. Researchers analyze these fluctuations in the returning light to see if the beam splitter was moving in a certain way, being carried along on a jitter of space itself.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!