Male tilapia fish use urine to lure mates!
London: Native to southern Africa, Mozambican tilapia fish use urine to reduce aggressive behaviour in other males, lure females to the nests that they make and stimulate spawning, says a study.
Researchers have identified that the urine of the male tilapia fish contains pheromones (a chemical substance produced and released into the environment by an animal), that boosts hormone production and accelerates egg cell maturation in reproductive females.
Thus, the pheromones help to synchronise female spawning and external fertilisation by males and so as to increase the odds of reproductive success.
Dominant males have been observed to urinate more often and squirt larger quantities of urine in water during fights compared to their subordinate rivals.
For the study, Tina Keller-Costa and her colleagues from the University of Algarve in Portugal collected urine samples from dominant males and purified the samples in several steps, testing them for biological activity as pheromones after each step.
This procedure resulted in two pure substances whose chemical structures were elucidated using nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy (NMR).
"The two structures are stereoisomers or mirror images of a steroid linked to glucuronic acid," said Bernd Schneider, head of the NMR lab in Germany.
Both males and females showed highly sensitive responses to the odour of these two steroids.
The study appeared in the journal Current Biology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok