Rail Budget 2015: 15 reasons that make Suresh Prabhu tech-savvy
Railway Minster Suresh Prabhu has presented Rail Budget 2015 in line with Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s dream of Digital India.
Zee Media Bureau
Railway Minster Suresh Prabhu has presented Rail Budget 2015 in line with Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s dream of Digital India. He has announced a slew of measures that are tech savvy and will facilitate passengers in a big way. Here is a look at some focal points from technology point of view:
- Open wi-fi at 400 train stations
- Multi-lingual E-ticketing provisions
- Hand-held terminals to Travelling Ticket Examiners (TTEs) for verification of passengers and downloading charts
- SMS Alert service to inform passengers in advance of the updated arrival/departure time of trains at starting or destination stations.
- Extending facility of SMS on mobiles as a valid proof of travel for PRS tickets.
- E-catering to select meals from an array of choices. Pre-Ordering food through IRCTC website at the time of booking of tickets.
- Automatic ticket vending machines with smart cards and currency options
- Unreserved tickets to be available on Smart phones through App
- Online booking of wheel chairs
- Integrated customer portal as a single interface to access different services
- Introduction of a centrally managed Railway Display Network in over 2000 stations in next two years
- Bar coded/RFID tracking of parcels and freight wagons
- Automated parcel warehouses
- Mechanized integrated track maintenance
- Integration of train control and asset management application