Zee Media Bureau
Railway Minster Suresh Prabhu has presented Rail Budget 2015 in line with Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s dream of Digital India. He has announced a slew of measures that are tech savvy and will facilitate passengers in a big way. Here is a look at some focal points from technology point of view:
- Open wi-fi at 400 train stations
- Multi-lingual E-ticketing provisions
- Hand-held terminals to Travelling Ticket Examiners (TTEs) for verification of passengers and downloading charts
- SMS Alert service to inform passengers in advance of the updated arrival/departure time of trains at starting or destination stations.
- Extending facility of SMS on mobiles as a valid proof of travel for PRS tickets.
- E-catering to select meals from an array of choices. Pre-Ordering food through IRCTC website at the time of booking of tickets.
- Automatic ticket vending machines with smart cards and currency options
- Unreserved tickets to be available on Smart phones through App
- Online booking of wheel chairs
- Integrated customer portal as a single interface to access different services
- Introduction of a centrally managed Railway Display Network in over 2000 stations in next two years
- Bar coded/RFID tracking of parcels and freight wagons
- Automated parcel warehouses
- Mechanized integrated track maintenance
- Integration of train control and asset management application