2 CERN scientists to be honoured by President
Agartala: Two eminent scientists associated with CERN, the prestigious European laboratory for particle physics, would be conferred honorary Doctor of Science (DSC) degree by National Institute of Technology (NIT) Agartala.
CERN Director General Rolf-Dieter Heuer and eminent scientist Bikash Sinha of Kolkata, who is also associated with CERN, would be conferred DSC at the fifth convocation ceremony to be held on Friday, NIT registrar Sumanta Chakrabarti told reporters here today.
President Pranab Mukherjee will grace the occasion as chief guest and deliver the convocation speech and confer the honorary Doctor of Science degree on Heuer and Sinha at the NIT, Chakrabarti said.
The headquarters of CERN is in Switzerland.
"The NIT, Agartala, which ranks 10th among the 30 NITs in the country also put forwarded a proposal to CERN for collaborative activities which is yet to be finalised," he said.
The President would inaugurate a 726 mw gas based thermal power project at Palatana, biggest of its kind in the country, near Udaipur town, about 55 km from here on the same day.
Mukherjee who would arrive here in a two-day visit on Thursday would also deliver the convocation speech at the Tripura Central University on the same day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Failed to secure confirmed reservation in train? Now you can travel in pantry car!
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis