2010 Chile earthquake triggered icequakes in Antarctica
Washington: A new study has revealed that Antarctica`s frozen ground is receptive to seismic waves from distant earthquakes after the researchers found out that 2010 Chile earthquake was the reason behind icequakes in Antarctica.
The study conducted by the Georgia Institute of Technology removed the longer-period signals as the seismic waves spread from the distant epicenter to identify high-frequency signals from nearby source.
Zhigang Peng, an associate professor in the School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences said that they interpreted these events as small icequakes, most of which were triggered during or immediately after the passing of long-period Rayleigh waves generated from the Chilean mainshock.
Peng continued saying that this was somewhat different from the micro-earthquakes and tremor caused by both Love and Rayleigh-type surface waves that traditionally occurred in other tectonically active regions thousands of miles from large earthquakes.
He said that the slight difference was that micro-earthquakes responded to both shearing and volumetric deformation from distant events and the newly found icequakes responded only to volumetric deformation.
The researchers found the clearest indication of induced high-frequency signals at station HOWD near the northwest corner of the Ellsworth Mountains.
Peng said that the source locations of the icequakes were difficult to determine because there was not widespread seismic network coverage in Antarctica.
The study is published in Nature Geoscience.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes