2,400-year-old myths of mummy-making revealed
Washington: The ancient Egyptians probably didn`t remove guts of the dead during mummification process using cedar oil enemas, a new research has suggested.
The study analysed 150 mummies and found that ancient embalmers also didn`t always leave the mummy`s heart in place, the Fox News reported.
The study co-author Andrew Wade, an anthropologist at the University of Western Ontario said that the study contradicts the findings by Herodotus, who got an inside peek at the Egyptian mummification process and described multiple levels of embalming.
Herodotus described multiple levels of embalming: The elites, he said, got a slit through the belly, through which organs were removed. For the lower class, mummies had organs eaten away with an enema of cedar oil, which was thought to be similar to turpentine, Herodotus reported.
In addition, Herodotus claimed the brain was removed during embalming and other accounts suggested the heart was always left in place.
Wade and his colleague Andrew Nelson looked through the literature to see how eviscerations really took place and also conducted CT scans and 3D reconstructions on seven mummies.
The team found that rich and poor alike most commonly had the trans-abdominal slit performed, although for the elites evisceration was sometimes performed through a slit through the anus.
They also found that there wasn`t much indication that cedar oil enemas were used and only a quarter of mummies had their hearts left in place.
They also found that about a fifth of the brains were left inside the mummies` skulls.
The research has been published in the February issue of HOMO - Journal of Comparative Human Biology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in