2,400-year-old myths of mummy-making revealed
Washington: The ancient Egyptians probably didn`t remove guts of the dead during mummification process using cedar oil enemas, a new research has suggested.
The study analysed 150 mummies and found that ancient embalmers also didn`t always leave the mummy`s heart in place, the Fox News reported.
The study co-author Andrew Wade, an anthropologist at the University of Western Ontario said that the study contradicts the findings by Herodotus, who got an inside peek at the Egyptian mummification process and described multiple levels of embalming.
Herodotus described multiple levels of embalming: The elites, he said, got a slit through the belly, through which organs were removed. For the lower class, mummies had organs eaten away with an enema of cedar oil, which was thought to be similar to turpentine, Herodotus reported.
In addition, Herodotus claimed the brain was removed during embalming and other accounts suggested the heart was always left in place.
Wade and his colleague Andrew Nelson looked through the literature to see how eviscerations really took place and also conducted CT scans and 3D reconstructions on seven mummies.
The team found that rich and poor alike most commonly had the trans-abdominal slit performed, although for the elites evisceration was sometimes performed through a slit through the anus.
They also found that there wasn`t much indication that cedar oil enemas were used and only a quarter of mummies had their hearts left in place.
They also found that about a fifth of the brains were left inside the mummies` skulls.
The research has been published in the February issue of HOMO - Journal of Comparative Human Biology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof