250-million-year-old chunk of Africa stuck onto southeastern US identified
Washington: Researchers have identified an ancient piece of Africa stuck onto the southeastern US.
Geologist Robert Hatcher of the University of Tennessee in Knoxville said there are some large faults in the magnetic data which have not been active for a very long time, Discovery News reported.
The faults appear to be part of the rocks formed when parts of Africa and North America were pressed together nearly 250 million years ago.
Hatcher said that there was an attempt to rip away Florida and southern Georgia, asserting that they knew that there`s a suture there between African crust and newer crust from the Appalachians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS