26 Mughal gardens in, near Agra, claims Austrian researcher
Agra: An Austrian researcher has claimed that Mughals had built 26 gardens in and around Agra, which has sent the divisional administration here on a spree to locate the gardens.
Ebba Koch, in her published research, has claimed that 26 gardens were built by the Mughals on both sides of Yamuna river and downstream, south of Taj Mahal.
Currently, the administration maintains only four Mughal gardens here, the most prominent being Bagh-i-Nur Afshann (Light-Scattering Garden), popularly known as Ram Bagh (constructed by Emperor Babar in 1528).
Pradeep Bhatnagar, Commissioner of Agra Division, has formed teams comprising personnel from forest department, tourism department, and Archaeological Survey of India to locate the gardens mentioned in the research paper.
A two-day seminar beginning October 25 will be held here on the Mughal gardens and the need to locate, preserve and restore them.
Of the sites mentioned in the research paper, 11 are being looked after by ASI, seven by the forest department, six by the revenue department, and two by the defence estate department.
Some of the likely sites are the mansions of Dara Shikoh, Khane Alam, Islam Khan, Jodha Khan, Afzal Khan`s tomb and the tomb of Etmad-ul-Daulah, apart from the known sites like Ram Bagh and Mehtab Bagh.
The Sub-Divisional Magistrate of Sadar tehsil, Rajesh Kumar, is coordinating efforts of the various departments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE XII Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared tomorrow