300mn-year-old fossil inspired `Alien` extra-terrestrial
London: An ancient fossil about 300 million years old inspired designers to make the extra-terrestrial antagonists in Ridley Scott`s classic sci-fi horror `Alien`.
Swiss surrealist artist Hans Rudolf Giger was sought out by Scott to design the creatures for `Alien` after he saw Giger`s artwork Necronom IV, one among his many designs that are said to have been based on the fossils, reported Daily Mail.
Giger`s designs - one of which was seen bursting out of a character`s chest on screen - went on to win his team an Academy Award for Best Achievement for Visual Effects on the 1979 film and the franchise that followed.
But the strange fossil is actually the remains of an early form of life that existed on Earth 300 million years ago.
The extremely rare fossil, which went on display at the Aathal dinosaur museum in Switzerland, was stolen and later returned - put into the museum`s post box tucked inside a padded envelope.
Museum curator Dr Thomas Bolliger said, "It was comparatively undamaged - although one of the arms had broken off. It really is a remarkable fossil and shows two separate species of a spineless animal that lived at the bottom of the sea around 300 million years ago."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know