37m yr old fossil of `giant penguin` found near Antarctica
London: Researchers have discovered a fossil, which provided the proof that `colossal penguins` existed around 37 to 40 million years ago, on a small island near Antarctica.
The discovery disclosed about the penguin species, known as `Palaeeudyptes Klekowskii`, which was 6ft 6ins high and weighed around 115 kilos, Metro.co.uk reported.
A wing bone of the giant extinct penguin along with a 9.1 centimetre long tarsometatarsus, which would have been formed by the fusion of ankle and foot bones, were discovered by Carolina Acosta Hospitaleche from the La Plata Museum in Argentina.
Dan Ksepka at the Bruce Museum in Greenwich, Conneticut said that this was the longest foot bone he had ever seen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections