37m yr old fossil of `giant penguin` found near Antarctica
London: Researchers have discovered a fossil, which provided the proof that `colossal penguins` existed around 37 to 40 million years ago, on a small island near Antarctica.
The discovery disclosed about the penguin species, known as `Palaeeudyptes Klekowskii`, which was 6ft 6ins high and weighed around 115 kilos, Metro.co.uk reported.
A wing bone of the giant extinct penguin along with a 9.1 centimetre long tarsometatarsus, which would have been formed by the fusion of ankle and foot bones, were discovered by Carolina Acosta Hospitaleche from the La Plata Museum in Argentina.
Dan Ksepka at the Bruce Museum in Greenwich, Conneticut said that this was the longest foot bone he had ever seen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest