4 new dinosaur species identified
Washington: A University of Alberta researcher has identified 4 dinosaur species.
Victoria Arbour visited dinosaur fossil collections from Alberta to the UK, examining skull armour and comparing those head details with other features of the fossilized ankylosaur, a family of squat, armour plated, plant eaters, remains.
Arbour made a breakthrough that resurrected research done more than 70 years ago.
She explained that between 1900 and 1930 researchers determined that small variations in the skull armour and the tail clubs in some ankylosaurs constituted four individual species of the dinosaurs.
Arbour said that in the 1970s the earlier work was discarded and the four species were lumped into one called species Euoplocephalus.
She asserted that she examined many fossils and found that she could group some fossils together, as their skull armour corresponded with a particular shape of their tail club.
She said that finding common features in fossils that come from the same geologic time is evidence that the original researchers were right.
Arbour said that there were in fact 4 different species represented by what scientists previously thought was only one species, Euoplocephalus.
The four species span a period of about 10 million years and Arbour`s research shows that three of those ankylosaurs species lived at the same time in what is now Dinosaur Provincial Park in southern Alberta.
The research has been published in the journal PLOS ONE.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Hot alert! Katrina Kaif oozes sex appeal on the cover of Vogue India – See Pic
- Red hot! This TV actress looks unapologetically sexy in bikini – See pics
- Check out! Riteish Deshmukh's colourful 'Banjo' poster
- Tamil Nadu: Two children electrocuted, 40 injured as live wire falls on school bus, probe ordered
- Salman Khan – Sanjay Dutt friendship turns sour?