800,000 year-old footprint found in UK oldest outside Africa
Washington: Researchers have found footprints along a Norfolk beach in England, which are thought to be the oldest ever discovered outside of Africa.
The footprints are said to be more than 800,000 years old, which is enough to earn them the distinction of being the oldest footprints found outside of the African continent, CNET reported.
Researchers had to use their knowledge of the area`s sediments to date the markings.
Archaeologists from the British Museum and Trinity St David`s University accidentally stumbled on the footprints during a geophysics survey of the shore last May.
Researchers were able to make out distinctive markings from heels, arches, and even toes, that had been preserved over the years by layers of beach sand and sediment.
The proximity to the sea meant that the footprints were wiped away, but not before scientists had thoroughly recorded them in photos and on video, and made 3D reconstructions of the prints.
Those digital reconstructions helped researchers determine that the prints were likely made by a family group of at least five different adults and children, the tallest being about 5 foot 9 inches.
The scientists believe the footprints were most likely left by Home antecessor, an upright bipedal species also known as " Pioneer Man ."
The findings are published in the journal PLOS ONE.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!