A faster and efficient electronic car on way
Washington: Your small electric car may soon become faster and more efficient thanks to `super capacitors` that are capable of storing far greater charge in a much smaller package.
The energy storing devices can be made from a material called calcium-copper-titanate (CCTO) which, the researchers - including Indian-origin lead author Raghvendra Pandey - have identified as a practical energy-storage material.
"Efficient, high-speed, high-density energy storage is important to many fields, and super capacitors offer this," said William Stapleton, an assistant professor of electrical engineering at the Texas State University (TSU).
"Fields such as `green` energy and electric vehicles could benefit immediately from the use of these materials," he added.
Pandey, professor of electrical engineering at TSU, and others showed that in CCTO, two properties of fundamental importance for the efficiency of a capacitor device are tightly linked.
The first property, called permittivity, is the physical property of the capacitor material that allows it to store energy - with higher permittivity values representing a better capacitor, said the study that appeared in the journal AIP Advances.
The second property, called loss tangent "has to do with how efficiently energy can be moved into and out of the capacitor, that is, how much is lost in the process to inefficiency", Stapleton said.
"When the loss tangent is high," explained Pandey, "the capacitor is `leaky` and it cannot hold a stored charge for more than a few seconds."
Pandey and his team have demonstrated that CCTO super capacitors should be capable of achieving high permittivity while maintaining low loss tangent, which would make them suitable for storing energy at the desired levels for many industrial applications.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Gurdaspur terror attack: Blow-by-blow account
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day