Aerosols and greenhouse gases have similar effects on rainfall
Washington: The effect of greenhouse gases and aerosols on spatial patterns of rainfall change is similar, regardless of their distinct properties, a new study has revealed.
A team of scientists from the University of Hawaii at Manoa`s International Pacific Research Center (IPRC) and Scripps Institution of Oceanography has provided important new insights based on results from experiments with three state-of-the-art climate models.
Even though aerosols and greenhouse gases are concentrated in vastly different regions of the earth, all three models revealed similar regional effects on rainfall over the ocean.
Lead-author Shang-Ping Xie, a professor of climate science and first Roger Revelle Chair in Environmental Science at Scripps noted that both aerosol-induced and greenhouse-gas-induced changes in rainfall appear to be mediated by the spatial patterns of sea surface temperature.
"Although much of the aerosol research has focused on microphysical processes, over the ocean the climate response to aerosols appears to be insensitive to details of the micro-processes in clouds," Xie said.
The researcher added that the climate changes induced by greenhouse gases and by aerosols share a common set of ocean-atmospheric feedback structures, explaining the spatial resemblance between the two types of response.
The study is published in journal of Nature Geoscience.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Ajay Devgn, Emraan Hashmi starrer 'Baadshaho' begins shoot!
- Nitish Kumar seeks PM Modi's help to desilt Ganga, says feel like crying at river's condition in Bihar
- INSIDE DELHI METRO: Is this what happens to men who enter ladies coach? WATCH
- Gujarat Assembly ratifies GST Bill unanimously
- Ketan Mehta awaits 'official' word on heading India's Oscar jury