Aerosols and greenhouse gases have similar effects on rainfall
Washington: The effect of greenhouse gases and aerosols on spatial patterns of rainfall change is similar, regardless of their distinct properties, a new study has revealed.
A team of scientists from the University of Hawaii at Manoa`s International Pacific Research Center (IPRC) and Scripps Institution of Oceanography has provided important new insights based on results from experiments with three state-of-the-art climate models.
Even though aerosols and greenhouse gases are concentrated in vastly different regions of the earth, all three models revealed similar regional effects on rainfall over the ocean.
Lead-author Shang-Ping Xie, a professor of climate science and first Roger Revelle Chair in Environmental Science at Scripps noted that both aerosol-induced and greenhouse-gas-induced changes in rainfall appear to be mediated by the spatial patterns of sea surface temperature.
"Although much of the aerosol research has focused on microphysical processes, over the ocean the climate response to aerosols appears to be insensitive to details of the micro-processes in clouds," Xie said.
The researcher added that the climate changes induced by greenhouse gases and by aerosols share a common set of ocean-atmospheric feedback structures, explaining the spatial resemblance between the two types of response.
The study is published in journal of Nature Geoscience.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Athlete Dutee Chand qualifies for Rio Olympics in 100m sprint
- Enthusiasm in social networking may earn you a job: ASSOCHAM report
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part II
- Next Reserve Bank of India chief faces balancing act on bank clean-up
- Delhi Court dismisses AAP MLA Dinesh Mohaniya's bail in alleged molestation case
- 24 years, 24 women, 24 lessons: Shah Rukh Khan sums up his Bollywood journey so far!
- Freedom 251 deliveries to begin from tomorrow
- Israel to maintain Gaza naval blockade after deal with Turkey: Netanyahu