Ancient giant reptile`s live birth preserved in 248-million-year old fossil
Washington: A new study has claimed that Ichthyosaur fossils may show the earliest live birth from an ancient Mesozoic marine reptile.
Ichthyosaurs were giant marine reptiles that evolved from land reptiles and moved to the water.
Ryosuke Motani and his colleagues from the University of California, Davis, reported a new fossil specimen, which belongs to Chaohusaurus (Reptilia, Ichthyopterygia), the oldest of Mesozoic marine reptiles that lived approximately 248 million years ago.
The partial skeleton was recovered in China and may show a live birth. The maternal skeleton was associated with three embryos and neonates - one inside the mother, another exiting the pelvis with half the body still inside the mother and the third outside of the mother. The headfirst birth posture of the second embryo indicates that live births in ichthyosaurs may have taken place on land, instead of in the water, as some studies have previously suggested.
The new specimen may contain the oldest fossil embryos of Mesozoic marine reptile, about 10 million years older than those indicated on previous records. The authors also suggest that live births in land reptiles may have appeared much earlier than previously thought.
"The study reports the oldest vertebrate fossil to capture the `moment` of live-birth, with a baby emerging from the pelvis of its mother. The 248-million-year old fossil of an ichthyosaur suggests that live-bearing evolved on land and not in the sea," Dr. Motani said.
The study has been recently published in PLOS ONE.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez