Ancient stone structure discovered beneath Sea of Galilee
Melbourne: Archaelologists have discovered a cone-shaped stone structure in the waters of the Sea of Galilee.
According to the researchers, the mysterious rock pile is 10 metres high and 70 metres in diameter, made up of "unhewn basalt cobbles and boulders," and weighs around 60,000 tons, News.com.au reported.
Researchers said that the shape and composition of the submerged structure does not resemble any natural feature and they therefore have concluded that it is man-made and might be termed a cairn. But its age and purpose are not yet certain.
They speculated that it was either built under water to attract fish, or was built on dry land, which has since been covered by rising sea levels.
The structure was first spotted during a sonar scan of the Sea of Galilee in 2003. The structure is made up of large boulders around 1-metre long and there appear to be no walls, divisions or construction pattern.
The researchers wrote in their paper that effort invested in such an enterprise is indicative of a complex, well-organised society, with planning skills and economic ability.
One of the researchers, Ben-Gurion University`s Israel Antiquity Authority Yitzhak Paz said that the structure could be 4000 years old, similar to other ancient structures that have been found nearby.
Researchers said that the Sea of Galilee find is also just north of the site of ancient city Khirbet Kerak, which was one of Israel`s largest and most heavily guarded cities in third millennium BC.
The findings have been published in the International Journal of Nautical Archaeology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark