Ancient stone structure discovered beneath Sea of Galilee
Melbourne: Archaelologists have discovered a cone-shaped stone structure in the waters of the Sea of Galilee.
According to the researchers, the mysterious rock pile is 10 metres high and 70 metres in diameter, made up of "unhewn basalt cobbles and boulders," and weighs around 60,000 tons, News.com.au reported.
Researchers said that the shape and composition of the submerged structure does not resemble any natural feature and they therefore have concluded that it is man-made and might be termed a cairn. But its age and purpose are not yet certain.
They speculated that it was either built under water to attract fish, or was built on dry land, which has since been covered by rising sea levels.
The structure was first spotted during a sonar scan of the Sea of Galilee in 2003. The structure is made up of large boulders around 1-metre long and there appear to be no walls, divisions or construction pattern.
The researchers wrote in their paper that effort invested in such an enterprise is indicative of a complex, well-organised society, with planning skills and economic ability.
One of the researchers, Ben-Gurion University`s Israel Antiquity Authority Yitzhak Paz said that the structure could be 4000 years old, similar to other ancient structures that have been found nearby.
Researchers said that the Sea of Galilee find is also just north of the site of ancient city Khirbet Kerak, which was one of Israel`s largest and most heavily guarded cities in third millennium BC.
The findings have been published in the International Journal of Nautical Archaeology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!