Ancient stone structure discovered beneath Sea of Galilee
Melbourne: Archaelologists have discovered a cone-shaped stone structure in the waters of the Sea of Galilee.
According to the researchers, the mysterious rock pile is 10 metres high and 70 metres in diameter, made up of "unhewn basalt cobbles and boulders," and weighs around 60,000 tons, News.com.au reported.
Researchers said that the shape and composition of the submerged structure does not resemble any natural feature and they therefore have concluded that it is man-made and might be termed a cairn. But its age and purpose are not yet certain.
They speculated that it was either built under water to attract fish, or was built on dry land, which has since been covered by rising sea levels.
The structure was first spotted during a sonar scan of the Sea of Galilee in 2003. The structure is made up of large boulders around 1-metre long and there appear to be no walls, divisions or construction pattern.
The researchers wrote in their paper that effort invested in such an enterprise is indicative of a complex, well-organised society, with planning skills and economic ability.
One of the researchers, Ben-Gurion University`s Israel Antiquity Authority Yitzhak Paz said that the structure could be 4000 years old, similar to other ancient structures that have been found nearby.
Researchers said that the Sea of Galilee find is also just north of the site of ancient city Khirbet Kerak, which was one of Israel`s largest and most heavily guarded cities in third millennium BC.
The findings have been published in the International Journal of Nautical Archaeology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened