Ancient tomb of Chinese tyrant discovered?
Beijing: Archaeologists believe to have unearthed the tomb of Chinese Emperor Yang of Sui, notorious for his tyrannous reign about 1,500 years ago.
The 20-square-metre tomb found in Yangzhou City, in east Jiangsu Province in China, may belong to Yang Guang, or Emperor Yang of Sui, the second and last monarch of the short-lived Sui Dynasty (581-618 AD), Xinhua news agency reported.
"A gravestone excavated from the tomb confirmed the emperor`s identity, while an inscription about the year of his death concurred with historical accounts," said Shu Jiaping, head of Yangzhou`s institute of archaeology.
"But we`re still not sure whether it was the emperor`s final resting place, as historical records said his tomb had been relocated several times," Shu said.
The tomb was discovered last year at a construction site, adjoined with another tomb that archaeologists said may belong to the empress.
A gold-jade belt and a loop-shaped copper handle are among the artifacts unearthed from the tomb.
A notorious tyrant in China`s history, Yang Guang made millions of workers build palaces and luxury leisure boats. His legacy includes the Grand Canal, which was later increased to connect Beijing and Hangzhou in the world`s longest artificial waterway.
The emperor was killed during a mutiny in 618 AD, which marked the end of the Sui Dynasty and may explain the relatively small scale of the extravagant emperor`s tomb, researchers said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani attempted suicide or big security lapse by jail authorities?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital