Animals can live and grow even with very limited oxygen supplies
Washington: New studies of a small sea sponge fished out of a Danish fjord have shown that complex life does not need high levels of oxygen in order to live and grow.
The origin of complex life is one of science`s greatest mysteries. How could the first small primitive cells evolve into the diversity of advanced life forms that exists on Earth today? The explanation in all textbooks is: Oxygen. Complex life evolved because the atmospheric levels of oxygen began to rise approximately 630 - 635 million years ago.
However new studies of a common sea sponge from Kerteminde Fjord in Denmark showed that animals can live and grow even with very limited oxygen supplies.
In fact animals can live and grow when the atmosphere contains only 0.5 per cent of the oxygen levels in today`s atmosphere.
"Our studies suggest that the origin of animals was not prevented by low oxygen levels," lead author Daniel Mills , PhD at the Nordic Center for Earth Evolution at the University of Southern Denmark, said.
The study was published in the journal PNAS.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP