Animals can live and grow even with very limited oxygen supplies
Washington: New studies of a small sea sponge fished out of a Danish fjord have shown that complex life does not need high levels of oxygen in order to live and grow.
The origin of complex life is one of science`s greatest mysteries. How could the first small primitive cells evolve into the diversity of advanced life forms that exists on Earth today? The explanation in all textbooks is: Oxygen. Complex life evolved because the atmospheric levels of oxygen began to rise approximately 630 - 635 million years ago.
However new studies of a common sea sponge from Kerteminde Fjord in Denmark showed that animals can live and grow even with very limited oxygen supplies.
In fact animals can live and grow when the atmosphere contains only 0.5 per cent of the oxygen levels in today`s atmosphere.
"Our studies suggest that the origin of animals was not prevented by low oxygen levels," lead author Daniel Mills , PhD at the Nordic Center for Earth Evolution at the University of Southern Denmark, said.
The study was published in the journal PNAS.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Funny video alert! Nana Patekar’s ‘Beat Pe Booty’ mashup is hilarious
- Awwdorable photo alert! Shahid Kapoor, Mira Rajput and her baby bump
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS