Armed robots to outnumber human soldiers by 10-to-one in decade says expert
Sydney: A robotics expert has predicted that armed bots will outnumber human soldiers within 10 years and push the robot-human ratio to 10-to-one.
Weapons systems developer Scott Hartley revealed that ten years from now, there will probably be one soldier for every 10 robots and each soldier could have one or five robots flanking him, looking for enemies and scanning for land mines.
According to news.com.au, Hartley announced this at a weapons test of armed robots in Georgia, where robots were required to accurately shoot a heavy M240 machine gun at ranges of up to 800m.
Hartley assured that the semi-intelligent machines were not just killers and they can also save lives.
A form of animal armour, called `dragon fish`, slender and spiked, is regarded as having one of the sturdiest and most flexible forms.
The inspiration behind such biomimic armour that mimics nature, is touted to be fish scales and desktop 3D printers, and scientists hope to use 3D printing to copy more accurately the minute variations in the scales that allow them to be so strong and mobile.
Researchers said that the armour is not only intended for use by the military as its ceramic versions could be used by firefighters who enter dangerous burning structures, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- Does religion teach gender discrimination?
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!
- Watch: This guy convinces girls to get pictures clicked with him – know how