Barn owl nestlings identify siblings by individual calls
London: Barn owl nestlings have remarkably individual calls, which helps them recognize their siblings, research has revealed.
A team of scientists in Switzerland discovered that the owlets recognize their siblings` calls as they reach out to communicate their needs and identity in the nest, and even negotiate over food instead of fighting.
The findings were announced in the Journal of Evolutionary Biology by Dr. Amelie Dreiss and colleagues at the University of Lausanne, Switzerland.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal