Birds did not evolve from dinosaurs: Study
Washington: In what could alter the textbooks, researchers have declassified dinosaurs as being the great-great-grandparents of birds.
After re-examining a sparrow-sized fossil from China, they discovered that birds did not evolve from ground-dwelling dinosaurs.
"The birdlike fossil is actually not a dinosaur, as previously thought, but much rather the remains of a tiny tree-climbing animal that could glide," explained researchers Stephen Czerkas from Dinosaur Museum in Blanding, Utah, and Alan Feduccia from University of North Carolina.
The fossil of the scansoriopteryx (`climbing wing`) was found in Inner Mongolia, China.
It was previously classified as a theropod dinosaur from which many experts believe flying dinosaurs and later birds evolved.
In the study, researchers used advanced methods to reveal structures not clearly visible before.
These techniques made it possible to interpret the natural contours of the bones.
"Scansoriopteryx unequivocally lacks the fundamental structural skeletal features to classify it as a dinosaur," Czerkas added.
They also believe that dinosaurs are not the primitive ancestors of birds.
The Scansoriopteryx should rather be seen as an early bird whose ancestors are to be found among tree-climbing archosaurs that lived in a time well before dinosaurs.
"Scansoriopteryx is a basal or ancestral form of early birds that had mastered the basic aerodynamic maneuvers of parachuting or gliding from trees," the duo maintained.
"Instead of regarding birds as deriving from dinosaurs, scansoriopteryx reinstates the validity of regarding them as a separate class uniquely avian and non-dinosaurian," Feduccia contended in the study appeared in Springer`s Journal of Ornithology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP