Blobfish named `world`s ugliest animal`
Wellington: Blobfish, a fish that looks like a large blob of goop with eyes, has been named as the world`s ugliest animal, according to a YouTube poll.
Large, flightless, nocturnal and endangered, New Zealand`s native kakapo was voted the world`s second ugliest animal and dubbed a "rubbish parrot" by Ugly Animal Preservation Society, Stuff.co.nz reported.
The blobfish topped the poll after 3000 votes on 12 creatures were lodged.
It received 795 votes, while the kakapo followed it with 617.
The third place was bagged by the axolotl, a Mexican amphibian also called the "walking fish".
Other candidates in the fight were the proboscis monkey and the Titicaca water frog.
A total of 88,000 people visited the website where the online poll, which was aimed at raising awareness of unsightly species that play an important role in the ecological web, took place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation Part II
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters