Brown bears `descendants` of ancient polar bears, not modern
Washington: Brown bears on an Alaskan archipelago are the descendants of an ancient polar bear population rather than being the ancestors of modern polar bears, a new study has found.
Scientists have long struggled to understand the exact nature of the evolutionary relationship between brown bears and their arctic descendants.
It is known that these two species can mate successfully in captivity and in the wild, but how much of their genetic histories are the result of past interbreeding has remained a puzzle.
Previous analyses of DNA sequences have yielded conflicting results on this question.
At the center of the controversy are a group of brown bears that live on the Admiralty, Baranof and Chichagof (ABC) Islands of southeastern Alaska.
These bears - clearly brown bears in appearance and behavior - inexplicably carry mitochondrial DNA that matches polar bears more closely than other brown bears.
This observation led some researchers to conclude that the ABC Islands brown bears gave rise to modern day polar bears.
"The key to solving this mystery was to analyze DNA from the ABC Islands bears` nuclear genomes, and in particular their X-chromosomes," Beth Shapiro, Associate Professor at UC Santa Cruz, who led the research, said.
"Focusing on the X gave us a surprising result," she said.
The team compared the X chromosomes of the ABC Islands brown bears to the X chromosome of brown bears from the Alaskan mainland.
They found that around 6.5 percent of the X chromosomes of the ABC Islands bears had recently come from polar bears.
In contrast, only about 1 percent of the rest of the genome of the ABC Islands brown bears had come from polar bears.
The team simulated various scenarios to determine the most likely evolutionary history for the ABC Islands bears.
The results suggested a situation that differs considerably from any previously imagined for these bears.
They concluded that the ABC Islands bears descended from polar bears that were gradually converted into brown bears through hybridization with male brown bears dispersing from the Alaskan mainland.
The research is published in the journal PLOS Genetics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened