Californian men starting to talk like valley girls: Study
Washington: New research has shown that the American English speech variant known as uptalk, or "Valley Girl speak" is expanding to other demographic groups, including males.
Researcher Amanda Ritchart, a linguist at the University of California, San Diego said that uptalk is becoming more prevalent and systematic in its use for the younger generations in Southern California and has transcended diverse socioeconomic status, ethnicity, bilingualism and gender boundaries.
The new study, which is also the first to identify the distinct melodic dialect marked by a rise in pitch at the ends of sentences, has busted the stereotype associated with uptalk that those who speak uptalk actually ask questions instead of make statements.
Uptalk is typically associated with young southern Californian females, which leads to stereotypic parody of uptalkers as insecure, shallow or non-intellectual.
Ritchart will describe her team`s work at the166th Meeting of the Acoustical Society of America in San Francisco.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report