Canada announces funding for clean energy projects
Ottawa: Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper announced 82 million Canadian dollars in funding for 55 new clean-energy projects, ranging from electric vehicles to wind power.
"The Canadian economy is based in large part on the abundance of our natural resources," said Harper, who explained that Canada needs to develop those resources to both maintain the country`s economic strength and to "meet the challenges of what still remains a very fragile global economy".
He added that Canadians have a duty "to ourselves and to future generations to develop those resources in a way that is responsible and respects the environment".
The prime minister made the announcement Friday in Quebec City where he toured a company that received 4.7 million dollars to develop an enzyme-based approach for low-cost carbon dioxide capture from industrial effluent emissions in the oil sands of the resource-rich Canadian province of Alberta.
Of the 55 projects that are part of the Canadian government`s ecoENERGY Innovation Initiative and which are spread across seven provinces and two territories, 15 will be pre-commercialization demonstration projects to test the feasibility of various technologies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress to hold legislature party meeting in Puducherry today, decision on CM candidate likely
- VHP president Praveen Togadia visits Bajrang Dal's 'self-defence' camp in Noida, defends arms training of activists
- WATCH: INCREDIBLE! Not just AB de Villiers but wife Danielle too is multitalented
- Check rajresults.nic.in, rajeduboard.nic.in for Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12 (Arts) Examination Results 2016 to be declared after 3 pm on May 28
- Mass rape video shocks Brazil as teen girl drugged, gang-raped by over 30 men in Rio