Car speed data may reveal driving destination
Washington: Researchers have found that GPS technology is not necessary to show where a driver travelled -- a starting point and the driver`s speed data are enough.
"We have shown that speed data and a starting point are all we need to roughly identify where you have driven," said Janne Lindqvist, an assistant professor at Rutgers State University of New Jersey in the US.
The researchers developed a technique, dubbed "elastic pathing", to predict pathways by seeing how speed patterns match street layouts.
By repeatedly matching speed patterns with the most likely road patterns, the route and destination can be approximated, the findings showed.
To test how well the elastic pathing technique worked, Lindqvist and his colleagues examined data from six drivers in New Jersey travelling to 46 different destinations over 240 trips, and from 21 drivers in Seattle in over 691 trips.
For more than 20 percent of the trips, the technique predicted the final destination within a little less than one-third of a mile from the actual endpoint.
The findings will be presented at the 2014 ACM International Joint Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing (UbiComp 2014) Sep 13-17 in Seattle, US.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional