Car that runs on processed sewage!
Washington: Hyundai has recently announced plans to begin leasing a new vehicle this spring, which will be powered by processed sewage.
Last fall, Tesla`s Elon Musk was calling hydrogen fuel cell technology for vehicles "bullsh*t." He meant that as an insult, saying it`s a dangerous gas more suitable for rockets than for cars. But it`s almost literally true.
In a few weeks Hyundai will begin leasing a new Tucson Fuel Cell crossover vehicle that runs on hydrogen gas derived from excrement, Discovery News reported.
The complex process to convert waste from toilets and sinks in Southern California into hydrogen comes from scientists at UC Irvine`s National Fuel Cell Research Center.
Essentially the solids are separated from water and fed to microbes that turn it into methane and CO2. Some methane gets filtered and piped into a special device, and then voila: hydrogen gas.
That hydrogen then goes directly into a public pump for refueling vehicles.
Hyundai said that the Tucson`s three-year lease - about 3,000 dollars down and then nearly 500 dollars a month - will include maintenance and unlimited hydrogen refueling at a dozen pumps around California. Its tank takes about three minutes to fill and is good for about 300 miles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened