Carcass of `sea monster` found on Spanish beach
London: The remains of a mysterious 13-foot-long sea creature - with horns on its head - that washed ashore on a beach in Spain, has baffled experts and sparked rumours that the carcass belongs to a Loch Ness monster or sea dragon.
The creature was discovered along the shoreline of Luis Siret Beach in Villaricos, yesterday.
A woman first discovered the head and then found the body farther down the beach, according to ThinkSpain.Com.
"A lady found one part and we helped her retrieve the rest. We have no idea what it was. It really stank," said Maria Sanches, the civil protection coordinator for nearby Cuevas del Almanzora.
The find caused widespread speculation among locals as to what it could be, some humorously suggesting it was a link to the Loch Ness Monster or was some sort of sea dragon or water dinosaur.
The Loch Ness Monster is a cryptid, a large unknown animal that inhabits Loch Ness in the Scottish Highlands.
Others believe it was a mutant fish or some sort of shark species. The best guess is that it is an oarfish, Grind TV reported.
"It`s hard to know what we`re dealing with. It`s very decomposed and we cannot identify what it is," a PROMAR (Programa en Defensa de la Fauna Marina-Sea Life Defense Programme) spokesman Paco Toledano told Ideal.Es Ameria, according to the report.
The information has been sent to other experts to seek their opinion.
As far as the horns of the creature are concerned, Toledano said they are actually bones that have fallen out of place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy