Carcasses of olive ridley turtles washed ashore
Nagapattinam: More than 20 carcasses of Olive Ridleys were Tuesday washed ashore in the coastal stretch between Tarangambadi and Pudupettai in Nagapattinam district, forest officials said.
The Ridleys might have been hit by mechanised boats while they were travelling to the shore, sources said.
Coastal areas of Nagapattinam coast attract a large number of Olive Ridleys every year during the nesting season, which begins in December and continues till March.
The hatching period ranges around 60 days. Predators like dogs, crows and vultures damage and eat away the eggs on the coast. Most eggs get damaged and only a handful successfully hatch.
Olive Ridleys have been classified as "vulnerable" according to the International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources.
The Nagapattinam wildlife department has set up a hatchery in Kodiakarai wildlife sanctuary premises to hatch the eggs artificially.
The young ones that come out in the hatchery are put in the sea, which is their natural habitat.
The life span of Ridleys ranges from 60 to 300 years. The Forest Department has set up egg collection centres at six points in Vedaranyam coast.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Preity Zinta all set to make her first TV show appearance post wedding! – See pic
- Do you know where is Katrina Kaif's paradise? Watch video
- READ: What Suresh Raina said after Gujarat Lions' dream IPL run ended in Qualifier 2
- CBSE 10th Result 2016, CBSE Class 10th Results Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic.in 10th Results 2016 CBSE Board: CBSE Class 10th X Exam Result 2016 to be announced today on May 28 at 2 PM
- 10th X Results 2016 CBSE Board: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in 10th X class exam result 2016 CBSE Board to be announced soon