Carnivorous dinosaurs roamed Nagasaki 84 million years ago
Tokyo: Two preserved tooth fragment fossils of a prehistoric meat-eater dinosaur were discovered in a layer of earth, which is about 84 million years old, on the Nagasaki Peninsula.
Officials at the Fukui Prefectural Dinosaur Museum and the Nagasaki city board of education said that the fossils are thought to be from a dinosaur that was more than 7 meters long, the Japan Times reported.
However, they could not identify the species from just the fragments.
They also asserted that one of the fragments, which measures 35.4 mm by 26.8 mm by 11.2 mm and is one of the biggest fossils of a carnivorous dinosaur’s tooth ever found in Japan, forms roughly half of an estimated 6-cm-long tooth from the root.
The other piece is 34.2 mm long and 13.6 mm wide.
Officials said that the sharp protrusions show they were the teeth of a carnivore.
Chief researcher at the museum, Kazunori Miyata, found the fossils in July 2011 in the Mitsuze layer on the west coast of the peninsula.
The new fossils are currently on display at Sanwa Gyosei Center in Nagasaki until July 12 and then at the Nagasaki Science Museum until July 28.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in