Carnivorous dinosaurs roamed Nagasaki 84 million years ago
Tokyo: Two preserved tooth fragment fossils of a prehistoric meat-eater dinosaur were discovered in a layer of earth, which is about 84 million years old, on the Nagasaki Peninsula.
Officials at the Fukui Prefectural Dinosaur Museum and the Nagasaki city board of education said that the fossils are thought to be from a dinosaur that was more than 7 meters long, the Japan Times reported.
However, they could not identify the species from just the fragments.
They also asserted that one of the fragments, which measures 35.4 mm by 26.8 mm by 11.2 mm and is one of the biggest fossils of a carnivorous dinosaur’s tooth ever found in Japan, forms roughly half of an estimated 6-cm-long tooth from the root.
The other piece is 34.2 mm long and 13.6 mm wide.
Officials said that the sharp protrusions show they were the teeth of a carnivore.
Chief researcher at the museum, Kazunori Miyata, found the fossils in July 2011 in the Mitsuze layer on the west coast of the peninsula.
The new fossils are currently on display at Sanwa Gyosei Center in Nagasaki until July 12 and then at the Nagasaki Science Museum until July 28.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!