China honours its top scientists
Beijing: Two Chinese scientists, both academics of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, won the country`s top science award Friday for their outstanding contribution to scientific and technological innovation, a leading Chinese daily reported.
Physical chemist Zhang Cunhao and nuclear weapons expert Cheng Kaijia were presented with certificates by Chinese President Xi Jinping at an annual ceremony held to honour distinguished scientists and research achievements, China Daily reported.
Winners are each entitled to an award of 5 million yuan or $826,276.
Addressing the ceremony, Premier Li Keqiang said, "China has entered a new stage in which the country must rely more on sci-tech innovation to guide and support its economic development and social progress."
The premier said China must rely on scientific and technological innovation to improve the overall quality of its economy, move upward in the industrial value chain, foster a new competitive edge, overcome restraints in resources and the environment, and achieve more sustainable development.
Awards were also given to a number of other scientists as well as for scientific research programmes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...