China opens fourth Antarctic research base
Beijing: China has opened a fourth Antarctic research base, authorities said here Saturday.
The new Taishan station is located between Zhongshan and Kunlun stations at an altitude of 2,600 metres, Xinhua reported.
It can accommodate up to 20 people during the Antarctic summer, and is equipped with a runway for fixed-wing aircraft, specially designed for snow and ice.
China`s Antarctic expedition in 1984 was the first step towards establishing the four research centres on the continent -- Great Wall, Zhongshan, Kunlun and, now, Taishan. The first station, Great Wall, opened in 1985.
The Taishan station is expected to be in service for the next 15 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray