China`s super collider a game changer?
London: A proposal by China to build a "Higgs factory" by 2028 - a 52 km underground ring that would smash together electrons and positrons - has raised the possibility of the country coming to the forefront of particle physics.
If approved, the project could overtake the 27 km Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN, Europe`s particle-physics laboratory near Geneva, Switzerland.
Collisions of these fundamental particles would allow the Higgs boson to be studied with greater precision than at the relatively smaller LHC, Nature reported.
According to the scientists at the Institute of High Energy Physics (IHEP) in Beijing, the proposed $3 billion machine is within technological grasp and is considered conservative in scope and cost.
China hopes that it would also be a stepping stone to a next-generation collider - a super proton-proton collider - in the same tunnel.
The machine would be a big leap for China. The country`s biggest current collider is just 240 metres in circumference.
But China now has "the confidence, for the first time, to propose an ambitious new machine," said Ian Shipsey, an experimental physicist at University of Oxford.
"China wanted to work towards a more immediate goal than a super collider by 2035. You cannot just talk about a project which is 20 years from now," IHEP director Yifang Wang told the gathering at the International Conference on High Energy Physics in Valencia, Spain, recently.
According to Wang, China would welcome international funding contributions and if there is a lot of support, the ring size could be expanded to 80 km.
"But the country will not wait for collaborators before pressing ahead," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla