Chinese archaeologists discover country`s most ancient mathematics document
Zee Media Bureau
Beijing: Chinese archaeologists claimed to have discovered the country`s most ancient mathematics document dating back over 2,200 years. The announcement was made on Tuesday.
The document consists of of inscriptions on bamboo sheets from the Warring States period between 475-221 B.C., which explains methods of multiplying number lower than 100.
The document also talks about certain fractions, Li Xueqin, a specialist in ancient documents at Beijing`s Tsinghua University, told Xinhua.
According to the director of the Chinese Society of the History of Mathematics, Guo Shuchun, the document is the only one that has been found with studies of exact sciences before China`s first historical dynasty, the Qin between 221-206 B.C.
The knowledge inscribed on the bamboo sheets “was very advanced for the world at that time and is an important discovery in the mathematical history of China and even the world,” Guo added.
Experts discovered the document in a collection of 2,500 bamboo sheets acquired by Tsinghua University in July 2008, which had previously been taken out of the country illegally.
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days