CIA funds study examining effects of geo engineering, blocking sun
Washington: The Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) is funding a study that is examining various ways to geo-engineer the planet.
The ways include blocking or limiting the sunlight that reaches the Earth, stripping carbon dioxide from the skies and seeding the clouds.
The project, a panel called `Geo-engineering Climate: Technical Evaluation and Discussion of Impacts`, is backed by the National Academy of Sciences, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), NASA and the US intelligence community.
According to a news website, Edward Price, a spokesman for the CIA, said that it is natural that on a subject like climate change the agency would work with scientists to better understand the phenomenon and its implications on national security.
He however refused to confirm the agency`s role in the study.
Edward Dunlea, study director with the National Academies, said that nothing involved in the study is classified at all, adding that they are doing an evaluation.
Dunlea declined to cite the CIA by name.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?