CIA funds study examining effects of geo engineering, blocking sun
Washington: The Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) is funding a study that is examining various ways to geo-engineer the planet.
The ways include blocking or limiting the sunlight that reaches the Earth, stripping carbon dioxide from the skies and seeding the clouds.
The project, a panel called `Geo-engineering Climate: Technical Evaluation and Discussion of Impacts`, is backed by the National Academy of Sciences, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), NASA and the US intelligence community.
According to a news website, Edward Price, a spokesman for the CIA, said that it is natural that on a subject like climate change the agency would work with scientists to better understand the phenomenon and its implications on national security.
He however refused to confirm the agency`s role in the study.
Edward Dunlea, study director with the National Academies, said that nothing involved in the study is classified at all, adding that they are doing an evaluation.
Dunlea declined to cite the CIA by name.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India