`Climate change, not hunting may have led to mammoths extinction`
London: Researchers have claimed to have found proof to suggest that woolly mammoth was led to extinction because of climate change and not due to human influence.
A DNA analysis showed that a distinct population of mammoth in Europe died abut 30,000 years ago, the BBC reported.
Dr Love Dalen of the Swedish Museum of Natural History said that the woolly mammoths were a fairly dynamic species that went through local extinctions, expansions and migrations.
Dalen and other researchers analysed DNA samples from 300 specimens from woolly mammoths.
The scientists were able to determine how many mammoths were present at any given time from the samples as well as tracing their migration patterns.
They found that mammoths nearly went extinct 120,000 years ago when the world warmed up for a while.
They also found that the decline that led to extinction started 20,000 years ago when the Ice Age was at its height, rather than 14,000 years ago when the world started warming again as previously believed.
They scientists speculate that it became so cold that the grass that they fed on became scarce and the decline was spurred on as the Ice Age ended, possibly as the grassland on which they thrived was replaced by forests in the south and tundra in the north.
The results have been published in the Proceedings of the Royal Society B.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH